Place Manager: Jono Ingram
Jono’s primary role is placemaking in the new Woodlea Estate in the suburb of Aintree, in Melbourne’s North West growth corridor. Jono’s experience has been in small rural communities and regional centres which has seen him work with youth and families in public housing estates, primary schools and football clubs in areas of welfare and wellbeing, and in the development of community gardens. Jono’s interest in community gardens and urban farming has displayed itself in a desire to see communities play a vital role in producing their own local, fresh produce in a sustainable way. This has seen initiatives such as local neighbourhood food and swaps, and the development of seasonal vegetable stalls from community gardens and growing spaces.
Jono’s key responsibilities at Aintree involve:
- Listening to and empowering the local community
- Co-ordinating and programming the Aintree Community Garden with working bees, educational workshops, and market stalls
- Partnering with Schools & Kindergarten in Rockbank to deliver wellbeing support programs. This includes small group workshops with children & parents in areas such as mental health, resilience, domestic violence, social & emotional wellbeing, and nutrition.
- Facilitating the Neighbourhood Pizza Nights and other events at the Aintree Community Garden
- Facilitating and supporting neighbourhood initiatives, such as a Neighbourhood Association, playgroups, new business, community events & initiates
- Supporting local sporting initiatives, such as new sports clubs, activation of playing surfaces, development of junior sport such as Auskick and Milo Cricket
- Supporting Woodlea Community Development team
NORLANE COMMUNITY INITIATIVES
Place Manager: Simon Reeves
The Norlane area enjoyed its heyday in the 1960s as a busy working class neighbourhood housing workers from nearby factories. When manufacturing industries went into decline in the 1970s, hundreds of Norlane residents lost their jobs and many are now in long-term unemployment and generational poverty.
Grassroots Placemakers partners with the work of Norlane Community Initiatives by supporting Simon to coordinate and integrate many placemaking opportunities including:
- Monday Neighbourhood Community Meal
- Tuesday Mens Breakfast
- Wednesday Neighbourhood Community Meal
- Unearthed Community Leadership Training Program
- Peoples Pantry Cooperative (55 members in the cooperative)
- Social events for Longroom Community
Simon also supervises placemakers at the Baptcare Robin Ave Affordable Housing site in Norlane that has 52 houses on site.
BAPTCARE AFFORDABLE HOUSING – WANGARATTA
Placemakers: Bernard & Linda Blumel
Linda and Bernard Blumel moved into Swan Court in 2016 as Placemakers. Swan Court is an affordable housing development consisting of 27 units, 11 of which were built in the 1990’s. The 16 new units were built by Baptcare Affordable Housing. The residents consist of young families, singles and the elderly. The Blumel’s goal is to provide the opportunity for all residents to experience a sense of belonging and social inclusion. To walk alongside them and to enable them to reach their full potential and provide a place to be heard.
Specifically they assist:
- Tenants with applications to access Government/medical services which helps reduce stress levels by explaining complicated processes.
- Elderly tenants with transport, accompanying them to medical appointments, enabling a tenant to remain independent in their own home for longer and feel supported.
- Organise communal BBQ’s, Morning & Afternoon Tea’s at the communal pavilion, named by tenants as “The Shed” and celebrate special days eg. Australia Day, to encourage social inclusion and overcome loneliness.
- Celebrate significant events, eg. tenant’s birthdays and anniversaries
- Assist elderly tenants with IT related issues.
- Provide opportunities to use talents and abilities eg. Community garden, so that tenants gain a sense of fulfilment and self-worth.
Grassroots is currently developing a plan in partnership with Now and Not Yet to deliver placemaking initiatives with Mirvac at Olivine… stay tuned!